Sunday, June 8, 2008

From Iraq...

A guy I work with is stationed in Baghdad with the Navy for 13 months. He's in the safe/green zone working in public/media communications. Anyhow, I found this funny and scary all at the same time. Let's just say I would not be a great soldier.

From him:

"Okay, this is a funny one. I am sitting in my HOOCH (small trailer where I live) at about 9:00 pm last night. I am working on some emails and surfing the web when I start to hear gun shots. After about 15-20 seconds, the gun shots get louder and more intense. So, I go outside to see what was going on (yes, I know this is sounding like the "Night before Christmas" - I heard a clatter and rose to see what was the matter). The gun shots sounded like they are coming from all around me and now the sound is coming from bigger guns. At this point I am thinking that either we are really giving it to someone or the militia is really mad. About 45 seconds into this, I start to see tracers rounds in the sky. NOW I am thinking the militia have climbed the walls that surround the Green Zone and we are all in for it.

This is a good time to remember my story at the going away party that if you ever saw me with a weapon in my hand on CNN, running down a road, all has broken loose in Baghdad!

About 1 minute and 30 seconds into the amazing display of gun fire, the loud speaker in the IZ comes on to let us all know that the Iraqi soccor team had won their game tonight and that we can expect 'celebratory' gun fire. Man, if this is what they do when the win a single round in the World Cup, I am glad I was not here when they won it all last year!

My only question, where do all those bullets land? Just a thought....."


Whether we agree with this war or not, in totality or in part, thanks for people who are willing to dedicate their lives to the betterment of the world, and protecting our way of life. Military, police, fire, everyone. Thank you.

No comments: